Message from the Division Director
Welcome to NASPA’s Small Colleges and Universities Division. The SCU Division actively supports student affairs professionals who work at institutions with less than 5,000 students. We invite you to review the SCU website and seek ways to contribute to on-going discussions.
This year, we will continue to ensure that the small college mission is realized within NASPA’s strategic plan. In addition, the SCU Division seeks to broaden our membership base, provide professional development opportunities for mid-level managers and continue mentoring for early career professionals. We take our responsibility as educators seriously, and we invite you to be part of the NASPA small college community. We look forward to hearing from you.
NASPA's Small Colleges and Universities Division is led by an advisory board comprised of student affairs professionals from small colleges and universities located throughout all of NASPA's seven regions. They are eager to hear from you and to get you connected with the Division's membership and initiatives.
Early Career Development Institute
NASPA's Small Colleges and Universities (SCU) Division is proud to offer this low-cost and high-quality programming to professionals in the early stages of their career. SCUs have very unique needs and often have limited resources devoted to professional development for staff.
The Early Career Development Institute (ECDI) is a signature initiative to provide new, full-time professionals in their first three (3) years in the field an opportunity to connect with peers and senior staff members at SCUs and to explore specific competencies essential for practitioners.
Every Spring semester, the ECDI will connect a cohort of professionals to attend monthly webinars to discuss best practices within the field. They will additionally be paired with senior-level staff members to serve as coaches. Each pairing will have monthly calls to discuss career path, institutional issues/experiences, and any other information that will be of assistance to the institute participants.
- To provide opportunities for new professionals to network via a virtual platform with early career professionals at small colleges and universities across the county.
- To provide coaching opportunities for early-career professionals with senior-level student affairs professionals who have demonstrated a significant professional commitment to the field of student affairs.
- To provide purposeful opportunities for personal goal setting and self-reflection.
- To provide participants with online development offerings, which run from January to June. Each session will be focused on a specific content area and presented by a practitioner with expertise in that topic.
Institute participants will attend online professional development sessions that address the following topics:
- Supervision from above, below, and across
- Social Justice and Inclusion
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Law and Public Policy
- And Much More!
ECDI Participant Requirements
ECDI participants must:
- Be within their first three years in a full-time professional position in Student Affairs.
- Work at a small college or university (defined as less than 5,000 FTE students)
- Be a NASPA member
- Provide a letter of support from their current supervisor in support of their participation in ECDI
- Provide a current resume
Senior-level Coach Requirements
ECDI senior-level coaches must:
- Hold a position at a level higher than the director level at a small college or university with fewer than 5,000 students.
- Meet not less frequently than monthly by phone or videoconference with their assigned early career cohort member.
- Complete the Early Carreer Development Institute Coach Interest Form.
The participation fee for the institute is $50.00. Selected participants will be directed to the online fee collection process after being selected. There is no fee to apply. (Coaches do not pay any fees.)
|November 17, 2020||Applications Available|
|December 15, 2020||Application Deadline|
|January 5, 2021||Selection Notification|
|January 15, 2021||Coaching Pairs Announced|
|January-June, 2021||Ongoing Cohort Conversations|
|January 28, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #1|
|February 25, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #2|
|March 31, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #3|
|April 29, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #4|
|May 27, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #5|
|June 24, 2021, 3-4pm ET||Online Professional Development Offering #6|
To apply to be part of the 2021 ECDI cohort, please click here.
If you have questions about this program or the process, please contact Todd Porter, Director of Residence Life at the Juilliard School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete Your Profile
Login and update your profile.
Subscribe to the NASPA Small Colleges and Universities Listserv
The NASPA Small Colleges and Universities Division has an active listserv that allows student affairs professionals to ask questions, request information, and share effective practices. To subscribe to the listserv, please send an email message to email@example.com and be sure to mention in the message that you wish to be subscribed to the small colleges and universities listserv.
There are many ways to get involved with the Small Colleges and Universities Division! Volunteer opportunities exist at the regional and national level. If you’re interested to learn more about how to get involved with Division programs and activities, please sign up via Volunteer Central.
One of the best resources available to you is the wide range of professional development opportunities. This list contains both our “Hosted Events,” workshops and webinars that we plan and manage, and some “Related Events,” hosted by the NASPA Central Office or other NASPA Constituent Groups. To see a full listing of NASPA events, please see the Events page.