Leadership Team Roles within the NASPA Disability Knowledge Community
Regional KC Representative
The NASPA Disability KC Regional Representatives work to execute programs, activities, and events for members in their region. The Regional Representative will:
- Provide support in planning KC related events and activities to share information about the KC to the region, distributing information to members on a regular basis.
- Recruit and build a diverse leadership team that generates and disseminates knowledge to the membership.
- Work with the Regional Coordinator and RVP to develop ways to increase membership within the KC.
- Work with the National KC Chairs to provide feedback on regional activities and assist in moving the National KC agenda forward.
- Submit reports as needed to inform the NASPA Board of Directors about activities, accomplishments, and recognitions of the KC.
- Attend the regional conference and Annual Conference and any other formal meetings or trainings that support the future development of the KC's.
The newsletter coordinator actively seeks content, edits drafts, and assembles information for disbursement via the KC newsletter (uploaded to the KC website with link mailed to members)
The NUFP Knowledge Community (KC) Representative works to serve the collective efforts of the NASPA Undergraduate Fellows Program and a particular KC. The NUFP KC Representative will work most closely with the Board Chair, NASPA staff, and the National KC Chair(s) who will provide support and guidance in planning programs and other activities to promote NUFP within the KC.
Specifically, the NUFP KC Representative will collaborate with the KC to execute programs, activities, and events to achieve the goals and mission of NUFP. The Board Chair will communicate with NUFP KC Representatives about events and programs that are being planned on the national level, particularly at the NASPA Annual Conference. It is the responsibility of the NUFP KC Representative to facilitate the interaction between the KC and NUFP.
The National KC Chair(s) appoint the respective NUFP KC Representative. The NUFP Board Chair may provide individual recommendations to the National KC Chair(s) in each particular KC to inform the appointments. Final decisions rest with the National KC Chair(s). The NUFP KC Representative may or may not sit on the KC Board. This is at the discretion of the KC Chair(s).
Veterans KC Liaison
The Disability KC is acutely aware of the need for institutions of higher education to be prepared for wounded warriors. Those who return from military service with acquired disability are often coming back for education as a part of a larger transition. They often encounter barriers, and while accommodation may be appropriate, student veterans in transition may be less likely to request adjustment.
The Veterans KC Liaison facilitates communications between the two KCs, looking for areas of overlap and potential collaboration.
Technology KC Liaison
Technology and Disability overlap in terms of policy as well as practice. From the purchase of IT products and services to the development of online environments, there need to be clear accessibility standards. Hot topics include web accessibility, distance education design, adaptive computing, etc.
The Technology KC Liaison facilitates communications between the two KCs, looking for areas of overlap and potential collaboration.