The Advisory Board for institutions representing traditionally underrepresented students in higher education was established in Fall 2006, in response to NASPA's strategic initiatives to focus sharper attention on the professional education of professionals at these targeted institutions and the challenges and issues unique to these schools.
The Advisory Board includes representation from the following underrepresented institutions:
Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Advisory Group
Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) Advisory Group
Indigenous Peoples at Colleges and Universities (IPCU) Advisory Group
- To create a welcoming environment within NASPA for student affairs professionals at institutions serving traditionally underrepresented students with specific emphasis on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs) and Indigenous Peoples at Colleges and Universities (IPCUs).
- To nurture and facilitate a positive working relationship within NASPA, leading to increased responsiveness from NASPA to the needs of professionals at these institutions.
- To infuse iideas and ideologies of HBCUs, HSIs and IPCUs into NASPA programs and services.
- To ensure that issues affecting these underrepresented institutions are represented and addressed throughout NASPA.
- To assess and address the professional development of student affairs staff and educators at institutions serving traditionally underrepresented students, and to provide opportunities for professional development at these institutions.